An easy chocolate mug cake that tastes like a brownie in a cup. This chocolate cake in a mug is a delicious microwave dessert that even a kid can make!
After a busy day at school, this chocolate mug cake is my favorite quick dessert. It’s basically a microwave cake in a cup, and it’s so quick and easy to make!
When you’re craving chocolate cake but don’t want to go to the work of baking a full cake, this mug cake is just what you need. It’s the perfect serving size for an individual portion. This mug cake cooks in the microwave in just one minute!
My chocolate mug cake has no egg. I have found that the cake has a better, more fudgy texture without the egg. You also don’t have to worry about whether or not a raw egg has cooked through all the way when you make this cake without egg.
How to Make Chocolate Mug Cake
This microwave chocolate cake is easy to make. To make it even quicker, have all of your ingredients and measuring spoons ready before you begin. You will also need two small bowls to mix the ingredients and a mug to cook your mug cake in.
The first step is to melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Then set the melted butter aside while you whisk together the dry ingredients.
In another small bowl, whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, granulated sugar, and salt.
In the same bowl, add the milk, some vanilla, and the melted butter. Stir until everything is mixed together. You might see a few small lumps in the cake batter and that is ok.
Stir in the chocolate chips, and scoop into a small mug.
Microwave the cake in the mug for 45 seconds. If it still looks very wet on top, microwave for 15-30 seconds more. Take your chocolate mug cake out of the microwave and let it cool for a few minutes. It will be very hot when it first comes out of the microwave.
Enjoy your fudgy mug cake, served right in the mug!
Tips for this Microwave Mug Cake Recipe
- If you have white whole wheat flour in your kitchen, you can use it instead of all-purpose flour. You won’t taste the difference, and your cake will be healthier.
- In this recipe, you might not know what measurement a pinch of salt is. Pour a little salt into your hand. Take your thumb and another finger a grab a big pinch. That’s a pinch of salt!
- Sometimes I stir up the mug cake batter right in the mug instead of in another bowl. It can be tricky to mix it all the way because of the shape of the mug, though. That’s why I suggest you mix the batter in a small bowl and then scoop it into a mug. You can always microwave it right in your microwave safe bowl, too.
- Your mug cake will probably take between 45 seconds and 1 1/2 minutes to cook, depending on the strength of your microwave and the size and shape of your mug.
- You can sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top after microwaving your cake, for even more chocolate flavor.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
My easy cinnamon toast recipe is another favorite when you need a quick snack. You might also like my fruit and yogurt popsicles. Make a batch and then you can grab one from the freezer when you need a quick healthy dessert!
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Add the milk, vanilla and melted butter to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is almost smooth. It's ok if there are just a few small lumps in the batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into a small mug.
- Microwave for 45 seconds. Check the mug cake and if it still looks very wet on top microwave for 15-30 seconds more. This chocolate mug cake takes about 1 minute to cook in my microwave, but all microwaves cook differently. Be careful when you take the mug out of the microwave because it will be hot.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then serve.